return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Reptile House

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cage & Habitat Design ]

Posted by: chris_harper2 at Mon Nov 1 15:54:59 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by chris_harper2 ]  

Yeah I just wanted to throw out some general information for those looking in since this topic has been in a couple of other threads recently. Of the issues I addressed, the biggest one for people to look into is code and covenants for sheds/outbuildings vs. just storing a really big RV or trailer.

When I was considering RV vs. trailer my math suggested a really tall trailer would be cheaper and easier to frame out and insulate (to what I considered necessary) than converting an RV.

To address an issue brought up in another thread, I should first let everyone else know I have a 9' x 17' area of my third garage stall walled off for my herps. I decided on this over a trailer and only considered the "cabin outbuilding" later on.

I do want to add that even though I don't have to walk outside to get to my herp room, I really don't like having it outside of the main house at all. Someone questioned in one of the other threads if it would be in the best interest of the animals or the keeper's enjoyment to have the animals away from the main house.

I think the animals can be fine either way and probably even benefit to some degree to just be left alone. But from a personal enjoyment standpoint it's really not for me. And neither would a trailer stored outside or a cabin that I'd have to walk to.

But with that said, I understand all too well that situations with ones family, species kept or even numbers kept can make an outbuilding necessary.

I guess with hindsight I think it would be nice to have an outbuilding with a window and instead of long and narrow maybe a more square shaped room. I think that more cages could be visible from a main focal point that way. With the greater degree of separation it would be nice to have a place to sit and just hang out.

Stuff to keep in mind as people approach their outbuilding projects.

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Heat Tape & Thermostats - atrox182, Thu Oct 28 16:09:33 2010
<< Previous topic:  Heating vision cages - StevenOrndorff, Wed Oct 27 15:58:55 2010