return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: wild snake story

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snakes - General Forum ]

Posted by: DMong at Thu Nov 4 20:48:47 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DMong ]  

The boa was NOT trying to squeeze a regurged meal out of the Carpet to eat it himself. It merely smelled the rodent scent all over the Carpet python after it just ate it, so the boa thought it was actually smelling and constricting a rat!. Whatever they "Jocobson's organ on the roof of their mouth tells their brain what it is after the tongue picks up the scent particles from the air, THAT is what it is to the snake. Snake's aren't real bright, and neither was "dude" for being such an idiot. Bad crap like that can ALWAYS happen when you house and feed snakes together. The one that gets done sooner wanders over to the one still in the process of eating his, and the other starts eating from the other end, and whatever else is still connected to the rat(meaning the other snake).

Please feel free to tell "dude" that I said he is a jerk for feeding them in the same enclosure anyway, and then go prancing-off oblivious as to what is going on to watch his favorite cartoons while the snakes are eating. No, not real bright on his part at all.

They don't even HAVE to be eating for stupid "accidents" to happen.

I was in a pet store many years ago, and while I was there, I just happened to see a Colombian Boa crawling towards the top of the cage, and then saw it fall and land right on top of another boa there just underneath it. Well, as SOON as the one crawling landed on the other one's head, the bottom one that it landed on figured it was a prey item landing on it's head and it was immediately constricting the living CRAP out of the other Boa to kill and eat it!. If I did not go and open the cage immediately to separate them myself, and just sat there watching as most others would, the stupid store owners would have had a definite DEAD Boa Constrictor because of this. I am ALSO quite sure they were not fed very often at all either, which played a huge part in all this.

Anyway, bad things happen when people don't make absolutely SURE that they do NOT happen, is the moral of this story. This happens when people just hope and assume things will probably be okay, when in fact, they should make damn sure they CANNOT happen in the first place!

regards, ~Doug
-----
"a snake in the grass is a GOOD thing"

my website -serpentinespecialties.webs.com

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: wild snake story - rickgordon, Fri Nov 5 22:49:05 2010

<< Previous Message:  wild snake story - robeyeshua221, Tue Nov 2 22:11:08 2010