return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Corn Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Caecilian . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - June 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - June 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - June 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - July 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - June 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Snakes as Therapy Animals

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snakes - General Forum ]

Posted by: Amanda_D at Fri Apr 8 11:43:25 2011   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Amanda_D ]  

I love that idea! I am always telling people that snakes are the perfect pet. They don't make hardly any noise, they don't shed hair all over every thing, and you only need to feed them once a week.

As for what kind of snake, I have kings, corns, a nelsons milk and a BP (ball Python) and my experience is that for beginners the corns would be one of the best choices. Corns are hardy and easy to care for and most have verry calm and easy going personalities. I have never taken a bite from any of the corns I have had.

Not true for the kings. The kings are just as easy to care for but are more apt to bite, usually mistaking me for the mouse at feeding time. I had one king once that was a very poor aimer when striking and would even bite himself. He got so eager during one feeding session that he cralled out of his tub, came acrost the floor and bit me on the big toe and rapped himself around my foot. Ouch.

Ball pythons are one of the most docie kinds of python and verry rarly bite. I have had mine for more than 15 years and only ever been bitten by him once, he missed his rat and got me. Ouch again. BPs are more demanding in the care department and not usually recomended as a persons first snake.

Hope this helps, and welcome to our adiction!

A
-----
1.0 BP Nicodemus
0.4 Cal Kings 3 alb 1 het Dora Queen Ace Pearl
2.0 Alb Corn Bizaar Elixir
0.0.1 Rev Alb Nelsons Oden?

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Snakes as Therapy Animals - markg, Fri Apr 8 13:26:13 2011

<< Previous Message:  Snakes as Therapy Animals - WarBoar88, Thu Apr 7 05:22:12 2011