return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - June 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - July 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - July 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - July 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - July 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - July 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - July 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - July 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - July 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: The Pros and Cons between Live and Froze

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snakes - General Forum ]

Posted by: chrish at Mon May 2 15:25:29 2011   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by chrish ]  

This arguement of rodents killing snakes is hogwash for anyone who monitors at feeding time.

I monitor my snakes at feeding time even though I use almost entirely F/T. Back when I bred rodents, I would kill them myself before offering them to avoid injuries.

I had a WC female Desert Sandboa that would refuse F/T. I tried all the standard tricks and finally just started offering her a live hopper. She ate it willingly. One day, she grabbed the rodent by the head and coiled around it. As she was coiling around it, it bit down on and severed part of her mandible (lower jaw). The snake's jaw never head correctly in spite of receiving veterinary care and the snake died a few weeks later from the infection.

I have also a kingsnake blinded by a single bite to the eye received during constriction.

So it isn't just the rodents that aren't eaten that pose a threat.

Wild snakes eat all manner of young, old, sick, whatever prey they can get that fits their diet preferences.

That's true. I have watched wild snakes peel patially decomposed roadkills off the road to eat.

And when you find wild snakes, they frequently have scars etc. received during feeding errors.

Wild snakes also have a shorter life expectancy overall compared to a captive snake that is properly fed (i.e not overfed).
-----
Chris Harrison
San Antonio, Texas

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: The Pros and Cons between Live and Froze - markg, Wed Apr 20 12:23:00 2011