return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Pine Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: For Masonmonitors

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ]

Posted by: jdmjames at Fri Sep 23 13:17:56 2011   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jdmjames ]  

to my understanding crickets, or most invertebrates, aren't a good source of calcium, right? and calcium is a major factor in the diet of monitors, correct? well if savs for example have such a specialized diet where do they get their calcium? are wild inverts so much more nutritious than captive inverts? cause I know no one goes around sprinkling calcium on wild inverts, and yes I know they must eat the occasional rodent or bird they find dead or alive, but is that enough? To make eggs and grow as fast as they do? That's a hell of a lot of inverts if it really is their main food source. I would think maybe they eat a lot of snails, shell and all, for calcium but from what I've experienced and read they mainly crack the shell eat their snail and leave the shell or most of it. A monitor with no sufficient source of calcium would mean it is prone to mbd and other diseases which do not allow for reproduction wich would equal to a failing species. I think (purely academic and assumptional) they eat whatever they can find invert or w.e but maybe they eat more rodents and such than we can see. Rodents look into burrows and other areas for food themselves, maybe the monitos use this to their advantage and we can't really see that being that their burrows have more than one entrance etc. I don't know if they might have disected some monitors to see their diets and that's how they know they have a specialized diet? Then again some whales eat nothing but krill an look how big they are haha.

I'm not asking these questions to prove a point or because I believe one diet is better than the other because the fact is I am new at monitors and I pretty much know squat compared to most of you, but these are questions that really intrigued me, and I think it's beneficial for everyone. Sorry fr the long post by the way lol.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: For Masonmonitors - masonmonitors, Fri Sep 23 13:48:50 2011

<< Previous Message:  For Masonmonitors - FR, Thu Sep 22 15:52:13 2011