return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Pine Snake . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: For Masonmonitors

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ]

Posted by: CMcKinna at Fri Sep 23 16:35:38 2011   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by CMcKinna ]  

"My only real point on here was to argue the invertebrate diet, so what misconceptions do I have?"

That such a diet is necessary. It's not.

"I don't like the idea of Savannah monitors being sold as beginner pets for thirty dollars in your local pet store. Of course, ideally they would be bred in captivity, so there are no more, or less imports, and then of course the cost of Savannahs would go up, and hopefully people would think twice about buying a thirty dollar monitor.'

Nobody who understands what happens likes the idea. But the fact is that it is far cheaper to import savs than it is to breed them. Breeding them will NOT make prices go up. Few people will pay more for a chcb sav when they can get one from the store for cheaper.

In order for captive production to have any impact on importation, you would have to breed them in HUGE quantities and sell them for next to nothing.

"That doesn't necessarily mean I don't think we should try our best to work towards it."

Nor do I. I think breeding savs to lessen importation is a fine (though lofty) goal. But if that is your goal, then you are wasting your time with the specialized diet argument. You are making an already unprofitable goal more expensive to achieve, and thus less likely to succeed.

If breeding savs is ever to become profitable (and thus desirable and likely) then you will have to bring in morphs (like albinos), and reduce cost of keeping and reproduction, not make it more expensive. Just the reality.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: For Masonmonitors - masonmonitors, Fri Sep 23 14:07:58 2011