return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Can anyone name this milk?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by: DMong at Thu Oct 13 14:31:38 2011   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DMong ]  

Yeah, definitely the Jim Kane "undescribed milk" there. I know I, Scott Ballard, Cole, Shannon, Jeff Hardwick and many other's have wondered about exactly what it's lineage consists of ever since they were known to exist. Scott Ballard and I were talking about them probably a year or two ago as well.

I see all milksnake in it's outward phenotype, and no mexicana complex geneflow at all when I look at them. Just from the outward looks and what area they originated from (Nuevo Leon, Mexico) they seem to likely be either a composite of dixoni x campbelli, or dixoni x annulata in my opinion, just as Shannon and Scott theorize.

Here is a bit of their history that I saved from Shannon's post a couple years back. No doubt Cole and several other's here are familiar with this too.

Jim Kane “undescribed milk” Feb 11, 2009

KS post by Shannon Brown

Cole,

In the early to mid 90's Jim starting producing what he called undescribed milks.I finally got him to send my some pics and what history he would share. He really would never say where they where from or how he got them.I just figured at the time that he had a single Dixoni and he crossed it with a annulata or maybe a pueblan.
It wasn't untill about four years ago that I was talking with a old friend out Grayband hunting one night that the animals where actually legit milks that where just that ( undescribed).He said he had seen the original animals imported in the late 80's and that they where collected from around Neuvo Leon area.

I think they may be a dixoni intergarde or something. Anyway, The last ones I saw for sale where on the classifieds in about 2000 or 2001.Jim is way long gone and he sold off all his stuff here and there. Nobody really kept track of them and to my knowledge the last pair was picked up in Alabama about 4 years ago but the female died that year and the male is still going well but just sitting with another friend idling for now.
-----
"a snake in the grass is a GOOD thing"

serpentinespecialties.webs.com

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  OK. I have to keep this one - robhaneisen, Mon Oct 10 20:50:07 2011
<< Previous topic:  Commemorating Carbon County - SunHerp, Mon Oct 10 12:38:57 2011