return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

some people think this is a giant hog ! (not me )

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ]

Posted by: jimfmcdonald at Thu Oct 2 15:47:24 2003   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jimfmcdonald ]  

Posted by: jimfmcdonald at Thu Oct 2 15:36:04 2003

Ok, here’s the story! In 1993 a friend of mine was removing an old palm tree that was more of a large bush, in San Clamenta California. When they pulled the tree out, about 4 or 5 of these snakes took off in all directions, but he grabbed one and took it home. Not knowing much about snakes but knowing I have been breeding them for several years he called me up and told me the story and that he thought it was probably a California king snake. Witch by the description sounded likely. After seeing it I thought it was some kind of indigo or cribo. So I took it to show a friend that specializes in drymarchons (indigos and so on) and to our surprise he could not identify it either! Next I took the snake to the professor of herpetology at San Diego State University and after counting scales and doing every thing he could to identify it he couldn’t. So I took it to one of the San Diego reptile shows and showed it to several breeders including Robert Applegate and many others and stumped them all. What else could I do at this point? This snake did not try to bite and was as calm as holding a boa! He ate small dead rats without constricting. I went back to were it was found to look for the others but I never found any. Now the sad part. After having the snake for a few months I had to leave the snake with a friend that breed pythons for a short time while I was moving. My friend, (whom will remain nameless for his protection) let his snake room get to hot and cooked this snake and several others. I have been talking with a few reputable reptile vets that are showing interest in this snake and I have been thinking of going back to were this snake was found with a few people that would like to go help me find some of the ones that got away or there offspring. It is an ideal place that they could live in a small area forever. Please feel free to let me know if you think you can help identify this snake or if you would like to help find the others. These pictures are not the best but a least I have some. I can email more to people that can help. Thanks.

JIM F MCDONALD

Posted by: jimfmcdonald at Thu Oct 2 00:23:26 2003

I breed sevral species of hognose, and this snake was not a hognose ! good guess though, I can see the resimbance. thanks.

JIM

Posted by: jimfmcdonald at Thu Oct 2 14:56:07 2003

Posted by: jimfmcdonald at Thu Oct 2 14:46:39 2003

I have cought baja coachwhips in the past and they were very hyper very mean and were lizard eaters! this snake was not hyper ,not aggessive, and would only eat rats. its haed was not as long and thin as a coachwhip, and as you can see in the pictures its belly was mostly all pearl white. it was also much fatter and and not as long and thin as any coachwhip I have seen. thanks for your help.

JIM

Posted by: jimfmcdonald at Thu Oct 2 15:04:23 2003

my friend did keep it in his freezer for a year or so then I lost contact with him for a while and by then he had tossed it! as far as a hoax I dont know the first thing about faking pictures. and I said I would love for some people to go help me catch more of them if there still there ! also these pictures were taken right after I got the snake so he does look a bit thin but after eating a few times he was as big as a golf bal or bigger, much more like a indigo. thanks.

JIM

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: some people think this is a giant hog ! (not me ) - snakeguy88, Thu Oct 2 15:50:50 2003
>> Next Message:  RE: some people think this is a giant hog ! (not me ) - CBS, Fri Oct 3 11:10:18 2003