return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Very interesting 180 degree turn Hermann

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: Jonathan_Brady at Thu Dec 29 11:20:01 2011   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Jonathan_Brady ]  

This page (hyperlink) on your website emphatically states that the creation of a snow boa is "almost null" in the wild and the ONLY explanation for creating such an animal in captivity is "pure commercial interest".

Here's the quote I'm referring to (italicized and bolded):
The favorite activity of some American boa keepers is to constantly create new color and pattern variants of the various species through selective breeding. As a tool for this purpose, a thorough knowledge of Mendel’s Square is required. We believe that some of these “breeders” know the principles of Mendel’s teachings better than the late Mendel himself at his time.

For example: One takes an albino Boa constrictor (technical term: amelanistic = lacking black pigment), breed it to an anerythristic/axanthic Boa constrictor (lacking red and yellow pigment) and thereby receives offspring that will theoretically produce one “snow boa” (almost entirely white) per 16 animals in a litter, when bred amongst each other.

Such creatures have absolutely nothing in common with these animals that live in the wild. In general, the probability of two specimens with such genetic defects (amelanism, anerythrism, and axanthism are just that) to meet in the wild is almost null. The creation of such an animal is possible in a captive environment only.

This is done out of pure commercial interest, and there is no limit when it comes to naming these “artificial mutants”.

Yet, in your future projects, you intend to produce "Anery Zeros" which would be the combination of two "genetic defects" (as you call it) just as a snow boa would be the combination of two genes.

The original Albino (both lines) and Anery genes all originate from Colombia as I understand it - so I'm curious to know how your 2 gene project which hails from Peru (anery Zero) differs in its intrinsic value and propagation-worthiness from a 2 gene project which hails from Colombia (snow boas). Especially when both share a common gene - the anery gene.

I'd really like to read your explanation of how what you're doing is morally superior to what you have lambasted for at least a decade now (morph creation and propagation). I assume the explanation will contain some detail about how you're not "commercially motivated" by this project, especially in light of the fact that you've applied for trademark protection to protect your financial interests.

Thanks,
Jonathan
-----
What's written above is purely my opinion. In fact, MOST of what you read on the internet is someone's opinion. Don't take it too seriously

Jonathan Brady
DeviantConstrictors.com Site received a complete makeover! Check it out!

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Touché - Warren_Booth, Thu Dec 29 14:16:51 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: Very interesting 180 degree turn Hermann - boaphile, Thu Dec 29 16:23:39 2011
>> Next Message:  It's very simple...... - rainbowsrus, Thu Dec 29 16:35:57 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: Very interesting 180 degree turn Hermann - BNixon, Thu Dec 29 16:55:00 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: Very interesting 180 degree turn Hermann - vmax, Thu Dec 29 19:51:42 2011

<< Previous Message:  Zeros™ - H+E Stoeckl, Wed Dec 28 18:35:14 2011 image in post