return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Lyre Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Zero III

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: H+E Stoeckl at Thu Jan 12 20:16:21 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by H+E Stoeckl ]  

I beg your pardon for the late reply and for starting a new thread but the old one is too difficult to survey due its structure.
I am also sorry that I took only a once over and that I don't have the time to answer to all of the postings.

My female has had 5 babies last hear. Why? Because I gave her no break after a large litter the year before. The interesting thing was that 3 babies out of 5 were Zeros.
I think this is an indication that this strain is strong.
I know the outcome of similar cases in albino boas. The worst were 26 babies from het albino parents. 25 babies were normal looking, the 26th was a stillborn albino baby. Happend in Switzerland.
This is NO isolated case! I know several similar ones. Not this bad, but approximately. But I think that this is common knowledge meanwhile.
In the light of this what do you make of the Zeros result?
Of course, this is no proof but only an indication (along with the excellent developement of the babies).
As to the Sonoran/leopard boas: The ancestors were imported in the 70ies by merchant from Frankfurt (this was before the cites). On June 6, 1979 the first litter was produced by Bernhard Gudrich from Dreieich. Hansjörg Winner got his animals from this strain and produced the leopards.
It is not my duty to defend boas that I don't even own or breed, but - dear Jeff - I know what I am talking about. I used to be an officer for 23 years and a detective for 6 years and know who to do a research and expose lies.

One of the few reasonable postings was from perfectpredators and I think I own him a reply. In my opinion he has a point. Right now there is only a harm if a purebred boa is bred to a morph in order to get something new.
The real harm was done long ago by criss-crossing different localities and subspecies like mad for the sake of creating more mutations. Furthermore the harm was done by tempting beginners to breed such boas instead of devoting their love and effort in the preservation of pure localities.

In conclusion: Field studies on boas with a transponder showed a movement of 70 Meters within 3 months. So it is safe to assume that a lot of inbreeding happens in boas in the wild. Furthermore: What about the island boas? Inbreeding occurs for thousands of years without harm there. The restriction to only a few bloodlines in some true locality boas is not an argument for crossbreeding.
Please bear with me that I can't write further replies because I have many boas to take care of, I have to update a website and write a novel.
And one thing is for sure: I will not be able to convince you and you will not convince me. So the entire thing is only entertainment and training for my bad english.
-----
The #1 Boa constrictor website on the internet

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Zero III - warren_Booth, Thu Jan 12 21:05:18 2012
>> Next Message:  It is interesting to note... - boaphile, Thu Jan 12 22:28:33 2012
>> Next Message:  Interesting to note part II - boaphile, Thu Jan 12 22:28:49 2012
>> Next Message:  Some inks I notice.... - Sojourner, Thu Jan 12 22:48:51 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: Zero III - AbsoluteApril, Fri Jan 13 10:25:20 2012