return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: true L.t.abnorma pair

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by: DMong at Sun Mar 18 17:00:55 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DMong ]  

HAHA!!,..I just couldn't help myself from posting that over there..LMAO!!

The timing was perfect for it and was hopefully taken as a bit of light-hearted "comedy relief" if nothing else..HAHA!!

Yeah, they get a bit more distinctly tipped, but they definitely stay very noticeably tricolored when mature. The parents of these are still very nice looking too. They don't get all "muddied" and completely taken over by black pigment in their inner light rings like L.t.polyzona would typically do. But having a pure group of poly'z is fine and dandy too in their own right,..their just different in their own unique way like everything else. In the early 90's I saw what where one of the very LAST to be seen adult pair of L.t.abnorma in the entire hobby, and they were also very distinctly black tipped, but their colors remained quite pronounced and contrasting. I actually bought the hatchlings from those parent's I saw as L.t.polyzona..LOL!. There was always lots of confusion regarding many of the Latin milks back then as well as even now, and looking at many books only made things worse and more confusing many times..LOL!. But after many more years of studying and researching more on the Latin milks, in more recent years I have began to get a much better handle on what is really what with their characteristics and what their natural ranges and elevations really are.

It only took like 25 years to finally know what a truly authentic specimen actually looks like..LOL!. The same thing goes for several of the other tropical subspecies too.

That being said, their will ALWAYS be countless unidentifiable milksnakes out there no matter who you are and how much experience you happen to have, because their idenification depends on so darn many important different variables. But with textbook phenotypic examples such as these, I could go to court and testify on a stack of bibles as to what these things truly are...

~Doug
-----
"a snake in the grass is a GOOD thing"

serpentinespecialties.webs.com

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: true L.t.abnorma pair - joecop, Sun Mar 18 18:05:26 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: true L.t.abnorma pair - joecop, Sun Mar 18 15:52:55 2012