return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: true L.t.abnorma pair

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by: DMong at Sat Apr 14 14:27:18 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DMong ]  

"Those are nice Doug. They look a lot like the polyzona I got from Ernie Wagner back in the early 80's"

Yeah, I can certainly believe that Don. Because they look EXACTLY like the so-called "polyzona" I got from Jim Mabe back in 1994-95 and was obviously way before he, I, and virtually any others actually knew what the real differences between them actually were. Many folks (including me) had it completely ass-backwards back then. And of course most people still don't know the differences and are just as confused as they were decades ago. The gross errors with photo depictions in most of the books out there only make this more problematic and confusing, and has simply perpetuated all this even further still over the years.

If you happen to own the 1990 TFH publication by Ronald G. Markel "Kingsnakes and Milksnakes, on page 77 is a genuihe L.t.abnorma that was also owned by Scott Ballard back in the late 80's. The so-called "L.t.abnorma" in Applegates book, Systematics, and many other books are bogus northern lowland Guatemalan bi-colored polyzona, and/or polyzona x abnorma intergrades, and if you do a google image search there are countless other bogus representations as well. Hondo's, abnorma/polyzona, stuarti,.........it's all in there..LOL!

The alleged L.t.abnorma (Guatemala) photo in Systematics on page 118 is actually a stuarti x oligozona specimen from Escuintla,Guatemala and is located in the extreme pacific side slope on the coastal lowlands where stuarti and oligozona's ranges overlap. What's even funnier still and even MORE ironic is that this very same snake is also depicted on page 111 as an L.t.oligozona from a different photo angle..HAHAHA!!

Anyway, you're right Don, many of the Latin milks have been grossly confused and misrepresented for decades, and they will continue to be for most folks. If Ernies milks had 31 and 32 RBR like mine do and also had thin triads and straight across snout bands, Ernie didn't know the difference back then either. Certainly not very surprising.......how many did then?, or even do now?..LOL!

~Doug
-----
"a snake in the grass is a GOOD thing"

serpentinespecialties.webs.com

"some are just born to troll and roll"

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Some NA Milk hookups - KcTrader, Sat Mar 17 18:56:41 2012
<< Previous topic:  Early Honduran activity! - denbar, Thu Mar 15 10:57:48 2012