return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Desert Iguana . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: What is Your Temp?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by: gerryg at Mon Apr 23 16:37:20 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by gerryg ]  

Do you enjoy asking the questions that have no easy answers?

Temps all depend on which milk you decide to get but for all of them 100 degrees is too much... some milks such as Black Milks or Andeans would even find your background temps of 77-80 a little too much. Your night time low is acceptable for all IMO especially since you do offer a warm spot with the under tank heaters should they choose to seek it out.

Definative answers for the best temps for a given milk snake subspecies are hard to come by here. What I've done for the few milk species I have is use the web site I've included a link to below. There's a menu along the left hand side that is fairly self explanatory. From the "World" menu pick Central America... depending on which country you pick you'll have the option of choosing among several cities... useful if you have locality data on the milk snake you're thinking about... along the top are the usual tabs... the one you want to look at is the climate tab... it has a drop down menu... choose graphs... if I've explained all this correctly you should now be looking at a graph with the average high and low temps for that area... off on the right hand side you should be seeing options to view items such as the forecast, Current weather etc. All that information should give you a good idea on where to start for temperatures for any given milk.

As long as you're not planning on breeding these milk snakes I'd keep things within the average range for highs and lows. From there observe the milks behaviour... does it spend most of it's time in the high end range you've provided or at the low range... tweek the temperatures accordingly.

Knowing the snakes you're looking at I'd say go with the hondo's or polyzona's as both would do well in the temperature range you keep your apartment at. I have both those species, both have been offered hides in areas from the mid 70's to mid 80's... over time both have seemed to prefer temps in the high 70's.

Gerry
Link

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  time to breed? - tommyduska, Tue Apr 24 07:44:11 2012
<< Previous topic:  One week already? Male Poly - gerryg, Sun Apr 22 17:35:18 2012