return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Frog . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - June 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - July 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - July 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - July 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - July 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - July 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - July 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - July 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - July 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Ruby red eyes.....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by: DMong at Mon Apr 30 19:35:44 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DMong ]  

"Here's the other question as I haven't worked with extreme hypu hondo's, if you breed an extreme to an amel do you get extreme's and amels? or do you get all normals?"

Jimmy, as you would already know here, unless the extreme hypo is het for amel, when bred to an amel you would get all normals double het for hypo and amel (hybino) just like any other recessive morph combination.

The mode of inheritence is certainly altogether different in the t-plus nelsoni and the extreme hypos as you also know.

Also, I don't buy at all that any so-called "hypo" expressing ruby red eyes is a form of t-plus albino and that it cannot be a hypo. If melanin is reduced in the entire animal, it can esily reduce the black pupils to a deep ruby-red as well, I mean,...why couldn't it?. The first real hypo Hondos I saw in 1995 in Orlando that went a step beyond simply being very "clean" and vividly colored where you could actually see a reduction of the black coloration itself within the cells and had noticeable ruby eyes were hypos and even came from very clean and typical hypo clutches. I could post countless pics of all sorts of animals and clutches that would blow holes all in of this anyway. Like I said in my earlier post, similar looking mutations can be very different things.

Just because a "t-plus" Boa constrictor and nelsoni both display a brownish/purplish hue with deep ruby eyes doesn't mean that my light silvery gray (some slightly green hued) extreme hypos are also tyrosinaise positive albinos. These can (and do) vary greatly from nice clean typical dark hypos with seemingly normal dark eyes all the way to the INSANEST light silvery gray with very obvious red eyes. It has nothing whatsoever to do with amelanism either, and is simply allelic somehow with the typical hypomelanism, only very exaggerated. As to what exactly goes on and is responsible for doing it, who knows, but I have seen boat-loads of hypo clutches, ultra-lights, and extremes, and I don't think they are the same thing AT ALL as the nelsoni t-plus phenotype,...nor are they like the t-plus Boa constrictors, lavender speckled kings, lavender floridana, etc...

Also, is an extreme ghost with noticeable ruby eyes also a t-plus x anery and not a hypo x anery?......I don't think so..

Then what about these "mega" line hypos???, are those all t-plus too?..HAHA!!

Anyway, I don't think all this is so easy to simply categorize as some are assuming here...

~Doug
-----
"a snake in the grass is a GOOD thing"

serpentinespecialties.webs.com

"some are just born to troll and roll"

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Yes... - Rainshadow, Tue May 1 00:05:47 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: Ruby red eyes..... - Aaron, Wed May 2 15:43:26 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: Ruby red eyes..... - KcTrader, Mon Apr 30 17:46:50 2012