return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Pine Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: I think you might be .....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by: Rainshadow at Tue May 1 08:58:47 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Rainshadow ]  

Combining information from two or more different posts here,I never made any mention of Nelsoni,(that was in Doug's first response,using the comparison as an example of why "Extremes" aren't T pos.albinos.) I wouldn't think they were the same "gene" anymore than I would think albino brooksi,and albino cal kings were the "same gene". They both exhibit a known phenotypical appearance,with a known,definable set of characteristics,but that would be where the similarity ends in my opinion.("same gene" would not apply to animals completely unrelated from separate subspecies.)from what I'm getting,they have a different affiliation with the amelanistic counterparts within their respective subspecies. From what I have gathered,the Nelsoni represent an unusual anomaly within an anomaly,(reading "Burnsy's post,seems very plausible,but I personally do not know that much about them.) just like "paradox albinos" represent a biochemical defect within a biochemical defect,(hence the "paradox".) the T pos. Nelsoni were produced along with the amelanistics,within the same clutch.(?) "Extreme Hypo" is a term made up by someone to differentiate these animals from hypomelanistic Honduran milks already available in the commercial market,it does nothing to describe the genetic mutation responsible for the phenotypical appearance,which has parallels in numerous other species,and a predictable mode of inheritance.(in other words,"a known genetic mutation".) we could all agree to call amelanistic albinos"über-duber-ultra hypos",I'm sure they would still sell well,but it wouldn't change what they actually were.(not EVERY morph that comes down the pike HAS to be a "hypo". *lol*) and, "yes" some of the other morphs you mentioned,are actually tyrosinase positive albinos,other examples that comes to mind are the "hypo" coastal plains milks, "Sentz hypo" pyros,"hypo" pueblans...(I'm sure I'll think of a few more as soon as I hit "post".)
-----
Captive born excellence through applied genetic theory...and,astute observations based on a keen sense of the sometimes painfully obvious

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Smith's Milksnake - Mesosaur, Tue Apr 24 18:56:23 2012
<< Previous topic:  time to breed? - tommyduska, Tue Apr 24 07:44:11 2012