return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Desert Iguana . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Photos of my new guy

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by: robhaneisen at Sun Apr 29 17:44:20 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by robhaneisen ]  

Pretty snake and welcome to Hondurans. I think they are a top choice as a pet snake - they feed great, get to a nice size and calm down nicely with age.

I agree with feeding every 4-5 days. He'll reach his proper size in time.

And, it's a good idea to get an inexpensive digital scale to track growth. Terry is correct that hatchlings tend to be 16-26 grams. I have some hold-back Honduran hatchlings from last fall that are pushing 80 grams.

One tip: Pay attention to the quality of your food. Many times people opt to buy in bulk for lowest prices but don't often take into consideration the absolute best quality - they just look at price. But ask around to other snake keepers about the best quality feeder rodents. Try a few different vendors and make your own judgement. Cleanliness counts, as does accurate sizing and vacuum sealed bags. I've grown some monster Hondos over the years and I think the one thing I've done that played the biggest role in that was feeding quality rodents to my snakes.

Enjoy your new pet!

Rob Haneisen

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Photos of my new guy - captainjack0000, Sun Apr 29 17:57:10 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: Photos of my new guy - rtdunham, Sun Apr 29 20:51:00 2012

<< Previous Message:  Photos of my new guy - captainjack0000, Sat Apr 28 12:17:58 2012