return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

In search of syspila...Kansas 2012

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by: Dniles at Wed May 2 20:39:36 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Dniles ]  

I had the great opportunity to meet up with several milk head friends and herp for syspila last weekend. They are still there herping - I wish I was still there.

Anyway, here is what we found Saturday and Sunday - Dell, Cole, Jeff and John will have to fill in the rest of the week for you later on.

Dell Despain, Cole Grover, Jeff Hardwick and I stayed with Dell's friend Cody at his ranch in Fall River Kansas. Cody was an excellent host and had a great ranch.

Here is, from left to right, Jeff, Dell, Cole (doing a curtsey) and me at the ranch

So on Saturday morning we meet up with John Fraser and his buddy Mike Puckett to do some herping. John and Mike take us to a spot to flip a metal sign and BAM! first herp of the day - a really nice speckled king

Here is Cody, Dell, Cole and John checking out the king

Then we moved on to the next spot - a nice road cut that produced a sweet prairie king that Jeff caught

Here is the road cut that produced the prairie king, ringnecks, flat headed snakes, etc. It also produced scorpions!!

After all that rock flippin', Dell got hungry...

John then takes us to another spot where we have some success. First up was a great plains skink that I caught...I was shocked how big they are!

Then the fun began as Cody caught a nice speckled king!

Then another larger one that I caught. This one put on a nice display!

Then Dell I believe landed this young prairie king with a nice meal in its belly

Here is a habitat shot of where these were found

]

But this day was far from over. John and Mike took us to another spot.

On the first rock Dell, flipped, he found a milk.

I didn't get a picture of it because I was too busy finding this little milk. My first syspila ever.

Dell, Jeff and Cole photographing my find

But there weren't only milks here, Dell landed this large black rat. I was shocked how much color there was on its sides. The ones I find in NC are solid black generally

Cole was impressed with it also. I think it was a lifer for those two guys

Not long after Dell found the rat, Cody and I flipped this little milk - it was a screamer!

Shortly after we found that milk we found a glass lizard. Pretty cool I think.

Moving on to the next spot, Mike caught this big bull snake and it did a great display for us.

Here is Cole with it

That wrapped up day 1. Three milks, seven or eight speckled kings, 3 prairie kings and too many ringnecks, flat heads and skinks to count!

On day 2, John and Mike took us up to Perry Lake.

The fun started when we hit this one spot that had plenty of debris on the ground. I think we found 5 black rats all under or near this roof laying on the ground. It was impressive to see all these big snakes together in one spot

Here is me, Jeff and Cole with black rats

While we were off playing with black rats, Dell landed this monster syspila - the largest one that was found while I was there.

Several other milks were found at this spot. Here is one Cole found

We caught about 4 milks within 20 or so yards of each other almost simultaneously so we put them togehter for a group shot. Pretty cool shot if you ask me.

Jeff also found this racer here. Pretty cool. I am not used to green racers - they are black in NC!

This was a great trip for me. I got to meet many fellow milk heads that I have talked with on the phone for a few years and I got to catch red milks, kingsnakes and other great herps.

John Fraser was a wealth of herping knowledge and I learned so much from him. He also showed us his collection which blew me away. He's got a killer collection of kings and milks that had us drooling.

Stay tuned for more (and likely better) pictures from this trip when Jeff, Cole and Dell get back home. John took some pictures too so I hope he has time to post something.

Dave

DNS Reptiles - Milk Snakes

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Kansas Milk-King search continued...... - John Fraser, Sat May 5 10:38:24 2012
<< Previous topic:  NH Locality Ltt Clutch - prrengineer, Mon Apr 30 07:28:45 2012