return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

A little more Kansas & herpers.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by: terryd at Mon May 7 11:46:47 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by terryd ]  

I'll add a few more photos and comments from our trip to Kansas.

Jeff Hardwick flew in to Billings from Minnesota to make the long drive down to Greenwood Co. Kansas with Cole and I, it was nice to have the third driver for the long trip, and to have another milk-head along that could speak in a milk dialect. Other wise
Cole and I bore everyone to death.

After 16 or more hours of driving this was our view from the hunting cabin we were staying in in south eastern Kansas, and the southern end of the Flinthills.

Our first day we hunted around the cabin we were staying in. We didn't turn up any milks that day but Cole and I did get to see our first Black Rat snake Scotophis obsoletus, and a fine specimen too I might add.

We found a few other animals too. Cricket frog Acris blanchardi, Narrowmouth toad Gastrophryne coralinensis, and a poopy Water-snake Nerodia erythrogaster.

-

-

The three of us, Cole, Jeff, and myself, were pretty ragged out by the drive down so we headed back to the cabin for a few drinks and to wait for Mr. Niles. Dave showed up just before dark when the drinking started up. Perfect timing Dave.
Once Dave showed up the game was really on, and we went into milk hunting over load.
Cole had called John Fraser and this turn of events really made for a great trip. John is an old school Grayband guru, and hard core milk-head. Dave & Johns enthusiasm was infectious.
Like Dave said in his post, John took us to a board he had seen a Speckled King-snake under the day before, and here's Dave with it in hand.

Truly a great looking animal. L. getula

We hit a road cut that Dave showed us in his earlier post, and things really started to happen.
Another getula.

A couple of Prairie Kings L. calligaster.

-

But this is a milk-snake forum so lets get to the nuts and bolts of the trip.
Dave Niles with his first wild flipped syspila.

-

There are to many milks to talk about each one, so I'll post a series of them which were caught over a few days. I've got to give John Fraser a shout out for keeping us in milk habitat, with out his knowledge, and game attitude we would have been hard pressed to find even one. THANKS JOHN!
Lampropeltis triangulum syspila. Enjoy.

I love the red head on this milk.☟

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Oh wait there's one more.

What the heck, how did that get in here? That's not a milk.

-

We also got a tour of Johns snake den of history.
Matt I. John F. Jeff H. with a much coveted L. t. stuarti.

Matt Ingrassi & our man John.

Well, thats a quick over view of the trip in Kansas. When Jeff, Cole and I left Kansas to go back to Billings we stopped in Thomas County Nebraska to hunt for Pale milk snakes for a short 45 minutes, and as luck would have it I turned up a great looking Pale! LUCKY.
L. t. multistrata

-Dell

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  GEEEZUS!!! - DMong, Mon May 7 12:01:02 2012
>> Next Message:  Well there is no doubt... - RG, Mon May 7 13:21:16 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: A little more Kansas & herpers. - Joe_M, Mon May 7 20:20:45 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: A little more Kansas & herpers. - John Fraser, Mon May 7 20:26:35 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: A little more Kansas & herpers. - joecop, Mon May 7 22:42:14 2012