return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Starved Honduran Milk Snake...Advice*

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by: miranda_lynn3309 at Sat May 12 11:56:08 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by miranda_lynn3309 ]  

My husband works in pet store and a couple of days ago someone brought in a Honduran milk snake and sold it and the tank for $30. He came home that night and told me about it that it seemed to be starved or something because the snake is roughly 2-2.5 feet and is extremely thin, his spine is looks like an upside-down "V". I told my husband that I wanted it because I wanted to ensure the poor thing was taken care of (we have a wide variety of animals in our house including a white-sided bull snake, an Argentine black& white tegu, and 7 other animals) so we're pretty seasoned when it comes to animal care. He gave his boss back the $30 and now the snake is in my living room. When he was at the pet store he inhaled 4 pinkie mice, that he was barely strong enough to eat, then last night 2 more. And when we brought him home he stuck his head down inside a water bowl and drank for a solid 2 minutes, maybe even more. He is extremely lethargic, I was looking for some advice on feeding and trying to build him up to what he should be.

*Additional info:
He has had a bowel movement- about an hour after he was fed the last two pinkies it was semi-solid and he had the movement as he drank the water.

Just to show the neglect- the bottom .5-.75 inches of his tail was so hard with unshed skin it took about half an hour for me to peel it off with finger nails and it was about 6-8 layers of skin the skin underneath the shed was extremely pale and the scales are damaged.

The guy that brought it in claimed he had only had the snake for a short period of time and that "a buddy of his gave it to him" and he wasn't sure what to do with it, so he decided to sell it. It doesn't seem that it has properly been taken care of, and I'd like to ensure that the rest of his life is better than it has been.

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Scarlet King eggs - Rust, Sun May 13 06:08:04 2012
<< Previous topic:  Newbie photo test - Lundberg, Sat May 12 10:19:08 2012