return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

History of Wild-Caught Mexican Milksnake

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by: John Fraser at Mon May 14 21:28:28 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by John Fraser ]  

Hi All,
25 Years Ago today, May 14, 1987, when I was 28 years old, I had taken a week of vacation to hunt snakes in South & West Texas. 1987 was a year I had come to look forward to, for the State of Texas had lifted the protection status off of Graybanded Kingsnakes & Mexican Milksnakes & I could now actually just buy a license & hit the roads without any real concerns from getting busted for something as trivial as finding a tri-colored milk or kingsnake, without looking over my shoulder anymore. Anyway, back to 25 years ago this day. I had driven my 1978 yellow Datsun truck into Freer this evening & drove around checking for places to stay, from Motels to shacks & ended up renting a travel trailer from an old man, named Mr. Ford, who had a sign along the West side of TX-16, in the North edge of town. He offered me a small trailer for $10.00 a night, which I considered affordable at that time. After paying Mr. Ford & getting the trailer keys, I unloaded some things, then drove on into town & visited the local Dairy Queen there. By now, it was already 8:30pm & the sun had set already. I was late to get out driving I had thought, as I always started driving just before dark in West TX in the past & thought I should do the same here. Of course hunger had overroad my hunting urge, so I thought to myself, so what if I get a late start, I'll be out searching right after a great meal here. So without regrets, I ordered my food & it was about 8:45pm by the time they had it ready. I sat there relishing my cheeseburger, fries & a coke & thought about how exciting it would be to soon head back out on the road to snake hunt for that elusive annulata milksnake that I had looked at countless photos of in books & read & re-read its natural history notes in books like Williams 1st edition Milksnake book. Just past 9pm now when I left Dairy Queen & headed North out of Freer, on TX-16. My plans were to hunt the intersection area North of Freer, at the junction of TX-16 and TX-624, road cruising 4-5 miles N & S of that jct. on 16 & also driving the 11 mile West stretch of TX-624, that crossed the Nueces River & went past a Naval Test Station Site, where my turn around point would be, then back to 16 again. Freer is in Duval county, but after some 7-10 miles North of town, you cross into McMullen county, so McMullen would be my target area mainly, though I knew milks could turn up anywhere in the entire area. Ok, leaving town North, I soon find a dor Western Diamondback Rattlesnake, as I recall, while still in Duval county, then head on North into McMullen county. Its dark now & I am hoping to see a live snake sometime & it doesnt take to long. Around 9:30pm, at exactly 17 miles North of Freer, on the East shoulder of TX highway 16, in my headlights I see the taletell tri-colors of a snakes body slowly moving towards the grass in the bar ditch here & its un-mistakable, its an Annulata! My first live snake of this trip & bingo!, I find the snake I had driven over 700 miles South to search for & catch, a Mexican Milksnake. By the time I get stopped, I am nearly almost past the snake & I quickly stop the truck & jump out with a flashlight in hand & run towards the snake, which is now 2/3 of its way into the grass, with only the last 1/3 of its body visable. I quickly & gently grab the snakes last third area & then get a better hold of the entire snake, as it squirms & defecates in my hands, but no problem here, for I had just caught my first ever wild annulata from its natural surrounding throrn-brush habitat, quick check of it & it was about 25" long & was a male & it was great! Mission accomplished I said to myself & continued on that night, finding other snakes, but not another milksnake that night. Fast Forward now to May 14, 2012. Today is a epic day for that 87 found annulata & its owner. For today marks 25 years of its survival in captivity & is currently my all-time longevity record for any milksnake that I have ever kept. Today, this old male annulata measures around 34" & other than a benighn abcess, on one side of its body, near its vent, hes in pretty good shape & I do beleive that since he was 25" long when first captured, that the snake was no doubt at least 3-5 years of age then, which would make its actual age 28-30 years old! Heres 2 shots taken today, 5-14-2012, of the old annulata, which lives on still in my collection here in Fredonia, KS. He again bred a female annulata this year, from about 7 miles away, and she will be laying another clutch of McMullen county, TX annulata eggs in the next few days. Hope you enjoyed the actual account of this snake & his continuing history......JF

Male Mexican Milksnake, wildcaught 5-14-87 from McMullen County, TX:

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: History of Wild-Caught Mexican Milksnake - mrkent, Mon May 14 22:16:27 2012
>> Next Message:  Thanks for that- - rodneyj, Mon May 14 23:43:04 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: History of Wild-Caught Mexican Milksnake - Dniles, Tue May 15 04:48:56 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: History of Wild-Caught Mexican Milksnake - denbar, Tue May 15 08:33:00 2012
>> Next Message:  That was very cool! - RG, Tue May 15 09:32:07 2012