return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Frog . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Central Plains Milk Snake

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by: John Fraser at Mon May 28 13:20:21 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by John Fraser ]  

Thanks for asking the question about the Texas gentilis. Of the the 4 different subspecies of milksnakes that occur in Texas, gentilis is indeed the hardest of all to come by. I say this because I have known a number of TX & Non-TX collectors that have found amaura, annulata & celaenops typically over the years, when the weather & ground moisture are favorable for the milks to be at the surface or moving. I have known of intergrades of gentilis to be found to the N & NW of Abilene. True gentilis from TX are from quite arid, isolated counties in the Eastern panhandle of the state. I have driven thru some of those areas in early spring & saw favorable habitat & even checked some accessable locales, finding ringneck snakes & some lizards, much like the gentilis habitat I have found them in in KS. I really think moisture & weather rule whether they are found & it may be a very small window in the spring to be able to find them there in those areas. I think because of the well-known ease of finding gentilis in Central & Western KS, people or should I say the milkheads, typically would go to the easiest place to find them, and TX, where true gentilis occur, is a tough, un-predictable place to go & find them with ease. Other than the gentilis posted in this thread, I personally havent seen anything but intergrades ever found or photoed from TX, yet we know they exist there.

Another really perplexing question that I wish we knew more about, why is it that milksnakes that occur in TX over all areas of that huge state, seem to be absent or never found in much of the Hill country from I-35, South of Dallas/Ft. Worth down to almost San Antonio & then back West aways?? I have been thru alot of the Hill country & counties where there are no records for milksnakes, yet the surrounding countryside has plenty or rocks, cover & food items, anyone got any ideas why milksnakes are not there?? Then again, maybe, just maybe there are some isolated colonies of milksnakes out there in Central TX & no one has simply came upon them, but that seems un-likely, given the interest & number of people in TX. Just some thoughts on this. To really see how devoid the milksnake are in Central TX, take a look in Tennants hardback edition of "The Snakes of Texas", from the 1984 printing if you can. I am sure theres been some new records of milksnakes in TX since that printing, but not sure how many. Later, John

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  the spotted female lays... - mikefedzen, Sat May 26 21:17:48 2012
<< Previous topic:  Honduran clutchs - denbar, Fri May 25 19:30:59 2012