return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Frog . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Central Plains Milk Snake

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by: KcTrader at Wed May 30 09:29:06 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by KcTrader ]  

" why is it that milksnakes that occur in TX over all areas of that huge state, seem to be absent or never found in much of the Hill country from I-35, South of Dallas/Ft. Worth down to almost San Antonio & then back West aways?? I have been thru alot of the Hill country & counties where there are no records for milksnakes, yet the surrounding countryside has plenty or rocks, cover & food items, anyone got any ideas why milksnakes are not there??"

John, here's just a thought as I never herped Texas or have been able to just yet. Could it be that there are heavier populations of Kings in those areas? Do you find an above average of kings in the Hill Country? If the fact of less snake species altogether in the Hill Country, could it be due to a factor of weather or maybe some sort of radiation or gas that seeps through the ground that keeps most species away......My first thought would be that there is a more dominant species like kings that are more favorable to that area.

As I mentioned before, I am not that educated on herping Texas, but could it also be an area that predominately hunted for the rattlesnake round ups? I understand It's a big state and there's huge amounts of land to cover, but I am just trying to think of theories that may have pushed them elsewhere if they were prevalent there at one time. IDK???

I also have to think that Brandon's thinking of why would I hunt something that is hard to find versus going some where I know my possibilities are greatly enhanced by others who hunted there. It's kinda like fishing, you usually got to your hot spots because your out to catch something, it's only when those spots no longer produce do you venture out to try new ones.

Hopefully I will be able to find sometime before I am dead to venture out to this area and spend sometime hunting gentilis. I am pretty partial to this species as it is my favorite of all NA milks.
-----

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  the spotted female lays... - mikefedzen, Sat May 26 21:17:48 2012
<< Previous topic:  Honduran clutchs - denbar, Fri May 25 19:30:59 2012