return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: I finally understand

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by: gerryg at Mon May 28 18:44:12 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by gerryg ]  

Until today my the only snake I had that was large enough to let loose out in the yard was my adult BM Jade... having just mowed my "lawn" Saturday morning I thought it was time to let the polyz and Ed stretch their "legs" in the great outdoors.

My observation was this... Jade has been out for a couple of years... under close observation of course... when placed on the ground she'd head off in "x" direction after a short time... I'd let her go until she reached the edge of the woods... at which point I'd bring her back to where I first put her down... and she would dutifully following the same path she took the first time... and I mean exactly the same path! Now I realized she was probably following a scent trail but while taking her back to the starting point for the third time I thought she kept her body orientated to the same path she'd take when I would set her down again... sure enough I'd set her down and off she'd go in the same path. Next time I picked her up I walked her all along the yard... not heading back to the starting point as the first two times... no matter where I went her head/body would turn to the direction/path she had previously taken... while carrying her I tried to disorientate her... even if I set her down 5 to 10 feet from the original starting point she'd head off in the same direction and once she crossed the original she'd follow it perfectly...

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Tyrrell Co. NC temporalis clutch & more - Dniles, Mon May 28 09:21:45 2012
<< Previous topic:  McMullen female annulata update - John Fraser, Sun May 27 07:29:50 2012