return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Frog . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Great way to start my bull season!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Pine/Bull/Gopher Snakes ]

Posted by: Jeremy Pierce at Tue Jun 26 13:02:52 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Jeremy Pierce ]  

Sorry.

To be honest, there are so many subtle variants in the natural coloration, that I'm still not sure if the three in the picture are actually genetic hypos. They don't look like a Trumbower, Iowa, or Stillwater. I've been absent from the hobby for a year now (still keeping, just didn't breed last year), so I don't know if a new hypo has shown up. I know that I've produced hundreds of whitesides over the past ten years and have produced many light colored ones like the one in your pick. I've produced ghosts before as well (should be getting some this year). When I get off work, I'll post a pic of one of my ghost babies from two years ago for you to compare to. I have attached a pic below of a whiteside that at first glance might look like a hypo, but it is actually the product of line breeding red bulls into the whitesides. That's some of what's making me think that your babies aren't genetic hypos, they're simply light colored bulls. I won't doubt you on the sunglow--those are pretty tell-tale signs you've given.

I'm not trying to be a jerk-promise. Just trying to help out. I'd hate for you to sell them as something and then have it come back on you if it turned out for them not to be hypo.

I'd love to hear from some of the other old timers (Ginter, Nelson, Billy, etc.) to get their opinions, too. I'm not above saying I was wrong if in fact I am (and believe it or not I do hope that I am!).

Take care.

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Name That Pit... - Pit_fan, Fri Jul 6 11:22:48 2012
<< Previous topic:  Average Bull vs. Monster Bull... - Pit_fan, Tue Jun 19 21:19:59 2012