return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Basilisk . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Garter Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Arizona, UT, and Nevada Milk Snakes

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by: Paul Lynum at Tue Jul 17 15:21:09 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Paul Lynum ]  

I've been working in the field hardcore for almost 20 years with western Milk Snakes. Starting in UT moving into AZ, then down to Mexico, and back up to NV. There's a lot of debate of what is what. After reading the thread from a week or so ago I thought I would add my very quick two cents on the subject. All snakes in this are ones I've found in the field.

This first one is a Northern UT. For awhile this population was thought to be a Milk / Pyro cross. It was later found out they were just odd (Cause they really weren't found in the wild before) and nothing more than Taylori.

This is the first Milk Snake found in NV and was written up in herp review as well as donated to MVZ. I always suspected triangulum were found in NV. I spent 10 nights trying diferent areas and conditions before I found this guy. I've seen one DOR since. Hopefully, that will change in a few days when I return. This to me is Taylori

This is your standard Taylori. I found this guy in central UT. Taylori doesn't get much better than this. Sorry for the blur. I'm not a great photographer at all. probably, because I rather be herping than clickin lol!! Actually, that is it.

This is a N. AZ Milk as found. To me all N. AZ populations of triangulum are Taylori. I've seen some AZ Milks that were hard to tell apart from the UT populations.

Another N. AZ Milk as found.

And another

Some of my captive stock that just shot for this post. Sorry but two of the animals are in blue and look terrible. They on the other hand are brilliant!! All Taylori

So at this point you might be wondering if I consider any of these three states Milks Celeanops? Sure do, the S.E. AZ populations (Cochise Co). I've been fortunate to have found four of these S.E. AZ Milks. This is a pair I collected in 2002 before they were protected. They breed great and produced but, I couldn't give the things away so I left them with a friend in CA when I moved to AZ 7 years ago.
They're doing great and making out to be fine pets. Wish I could have brought them here. Oh well. Lot's of milk guys argue about what is what in AZ. It's all in fun. Now it's tme to spend the next months observing and taking notes on more.

Paul Lynum

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Arizona, UT, and Nevada Milk Snakes - Shredderbabe, Tue Jul 17 15:56:35 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: Arizona, UT, and Nevada Milk Snakes - tspuckler, Tue Jul 17 16:18:54 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: Arizona, UT, and Nevada Milk Snakes - RG, Tue Jul 17 16:42:52 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: Arizona, UT, and Nevada Milk Snakes - Dniles, Tue Jul 17 20:38:10 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: Arizona, UT, and Nevada Milk Snakes - BrandonD, Tue Jul 17 22:43:38 2012 image in post