return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Barbour’s Map Turtle . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Pointed tail of Black Milksnake

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by: DMong at Sun Aug 12 18:17:59 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DMong ]  

Yes, but here is the funny part in regards to that video. You will no doubt find this very humorous. I just got off the phone with Don Soderberg, and he told me very specifically that he acquired his stock from Dave and Tracy Barker (V.P.I.) around 9 years ago who got them DIRECTLY from the San Antonio Zoo curator (Alan Kardon) many years prior to that...LOL!.. So those go back to the mid 80's from between Limon and Siquirres at the locality of Blanco, Costa Rica (very near Liverpool just west of Puerto Limon) and the 4 foot male they also got from Tom Crutchfield around the same time that were all used in their breeding program.

In other words, it is like many gaigeae, they are all individuals and can darken at varying rates, ages and amounts. I have a young pair here that are a year different in age and vary dramatically. One looks about identical to yours when it was younger. All of these are supposed to get very dark as adults, so it will be interesting to see what happens with yours.

I bet the guy that did the video would be pretty embarrassed to find out that both those snakes in his hand originate from the very same bloodline locale..HAHA!!

The video was posted about 4 years ago, and Don Soderberg hasn't worked with those for much longer than that, so who knows what he was told and by who?.

~Doug
-----
"a snake in the grass is a GOOD thing"

serpentinespecialties.webs.com

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Pointed tail of Black Milksnake - Drdan, Sun Aug 12 23:34:30 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: Pointed tail of Black Milksnake - RossPadilla, Thu Aug 16 00:16:25 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: Pointed tail of Black Milksnake - Drdan, Sun Aug 12 14:08:16 2012