return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Additional info on Tylan 200 dosage....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: Kelly_Haller at Tue Aug 14 11:59:22 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Kelly_Haller ]  

You have calculated the correct dosage of Tylan 200 for this boa if you are dosing at 50 mg/kg. I believe this would more than likely be a safe dosage as tylosin has a large margin of safety. However, I would personally not dose that high and would probably go with about half of that for this boa or 0.75 cc per dose for simplicity sake with this particular antibiotic and its intrinsic safety margin. I have attached below my 2010 post that was referenced above for further information on tylosin and its usage. Please let me know if you have any other questions on this one. Thanks,

Kelly

Tylan, or tylosin, is a macrolide class antibiotic that is mainly effective against only gram positive bacteria. It has been used successfully to treat chronic RI in reptiles caused by bacteria of the genus Mycoplasma and in rare cases Streptococcus. Tylosin will usually work well only if the causative organism of the RI is Mycoplasma, otherwise it will usually be ineffective in resolving most other types of bacterial infections in reptiles. Tylosin is usually used when long term chronic RI’s are unresponsive to other antibiotic regimens as this is what is typically seen with Mycoplasma infections.

Tylosin is relatively non-toxic and has a wide margin of safety, and I have seen dosage recommendations running from 5 to 50 mg/kg body weight at 24 to 72 hour intervals between dosages. In the 1980’s I used it at 25 mg/kg per day on large burmese pythons with no toxic effects, however I would definitely not suggest that dosage. I have not seen any formal clinical studies conducted with tylosin on reptiles, but Ross, and later Jenkins, have both looked at it informally.

Most RI’s in boids are caused by gram negative bacteria species and these would require cephalosporin, fluoroquinolone, or aminoglycoside class antibiotics. These other classes of antibiotics will be much more effective unless the RI is being caused by Mycoplasma. I would recommend that a vet check any boa for which antibiotic treatment is anticipated and determine if tylosin is the appropriate antibiotic of choice, however be aware that susceptibility testing for target organisms is problematic as most of these bacteria species are present in healthy boids as well.

The standard dosage of tylosin for most boids is 20 mg/kg every 48 hours. Tylan 200 contains 200 mg of tylosin per cc, so as a rough guideline, 1 cc of Tylan 200 would be about a single dose for a 20 to 25 pound boa, and you could extrapolate that dosage to determine the proper dosage for other size boas by weight accordingly.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Kelly! - DMong, Tue Aug 14 14:36:37 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: Tylan 200 dosage - maizeysdad, Tue Aug 14 07:49:47 2012