return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

When to cut open eggs?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by: nategodin at Thu Oct 4 19:15:20 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by nategodin ]  

Wow, sorry for your loss, that would have been an extraordinary snake for sure. It brings up a question that I've wrestled with for almost as long as I've been breeding snakes... is it appropriate to cut slits in eggs after the first one or two in a clutch starts to pip? I have done so, ever since finding what may have been the world's first captive bred dicephalous black milksnake hatchling, fully formed and dead in the last egg of the second clutch of gaigeae I ever produced. One of the heads had started to make a slit in the shell, but they either drowned in the egg or died due to internal deformities. I never want to lose another unique hatchling like that again. On the pro side, one would expect that a clutch of eggs that was fertilized at the same time, possesses the same genetics, and were incubated under the same conditions would develop at the same rate, so when one is ready to hatch, they all should be. That seems like a perfectly rational justification to me. On the other hand, though, I find that some of the eggs that I cut open still have quite a bit of unabsorbed yolk in them. I wonder if I had left this last clutch alone, would I have had fewer problems with hatchlings emerging from the egg still tethered to their yolks, as three out of six of them did? Also, I suspect that cutting eggs open could allow ones that would have otherwise been too weak or deformed to survive, ones that would have (and arguably, should have) died in the egg rather than being cut out and dying of general failure to thrive weeks or months later. This has happened to me at two or three times over the years. What do you all think?

Nate

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: When to cut open eggs, it depends - RG, Fri Oct 5 07:07:24 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: When to cut open eggs? - Denbar, Fri Oct 5 09:23:23 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: When to cut open eggs? - DMong, Fri Oct 5 12:35:44 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: When to cut open eggs? - Dniles, Sat Oct 6 07:17:09 2012

<< Previous Message:  EXTREME weirdness??? - DMong, Wed Oct 3 19:05:01 2012