return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

More Tokay Questions (Lengthy)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Gecko Forum ]

Posted by: LovelyLeopards at Fri Oct 17 16:53:20 2003   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by LovelyLeopards ]  

Hi all,

I posted last week in regards to the best type of housing for tokays, and was advised not to get a reptarium. I went ahead and got a 260 gallon one anyway since I simply could not afford a glass or wood enclosure of that size, and I wanted them to have lots of room. So they are now happily in their new enclosure. I live in Alabama so humidity is naturally high. In addition, I have a combo of moist potting soil and forest soil as substrate and some live plants to help in humidity. I'm also misting 2 times daily. If humidity STILL isn't high enough, I intend to get a clear shower curtain to drape over top and 3 sides.
So, now that I have them in a suitable home, I've got more questions. At what size/length do male tokays become clearly sexable? Mine both look female, and they're 9" and 8". Should they be clearly sexable yet? I ran my fingers over the pre-anal pores (which are visible but not prominent), and didn't feel any waxy secretions are anything. Question #2, and more importantly - I've had them for 6 days and they haven't eaten yet. I had them in a 30 gallon up until yesterday and I think they were stressed from the small space. Their colors have lightened up considerably since placing them in the reptarium. I haven;t attempted to feed them yet in their new home because I want them to get comfortable and settled in first. When should I try to feed them? I've given both of them some water via syringe to make sure they don't dehydrate. Thanks for all the help and sorry for the length of this, but I'm new to tokays and really fascinated with my new pets.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: More Tokay Questions (Lengthy) - Dakman, Fri Oct 17 18:17:38 2003