return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Python . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

G. k. splendens Care ETC. LONG

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Gecko Forum ]

Posted by: GeckosByBrad at Wed Oct 22 21:29:21 2003   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by GeckosByBrad ]  

Blazin,

G. k. splendens is a species that is just not that obtainable. A pair will cost you around 700.00. The issue on the Japanese Gonis. is that they are VERY rare and not that many people work with them. I only know of maybe 3 people in the US with them. There are 2 in Canada, I think one breeders female died. I would search for some now and get on a waiting list for some in the future.

Many people think that Gonis. is a hard group of geckos to work with. Many people start with G. luii and usually don't venture out of that species. I have found that G. luii are more secretive than G. k. splendens. G. k. splendens is one of my favorite species, along with Strophurus. I would highly recommend someone who wants to work with a little worked with gecko, something different, something beautiful and something to some may say is a hard to keep species, but is actually very hardy if kept right, to work with Gonis. Both Chinese and Japanese complex's.

The care of Gonis. is very easy, takes little room and cost effective. I house one gecko in a shoebox. I use the 3 1/2" ends of black PVC pipe(2 of them), and cut a 1"x1" hole in the side for hide boxes. I use a mix of 75% Bed-A-Beast and 30% Calcium Carbonate sand. I mix it up well. Use 1"-2" of the substrate across the bottom of the cage. I a PVC hide box on each end. I keep one half of the cage damp, and the other half semi-dry(not bone dry). I use a Jam lid for a water dish. In the shoe box I drill 8 holes on each side of the box(this keeps the humidity up, but allows air flow). I place the lid on and you have a Gonis. cage! For temp.'s, this is a touchy subject. I rather be safe than sorry, and keep the warm spot at mid-high 70's. The other end should be in the low 70's, dropping into the mid-to-high 60's at night. I feed them everyother night 3-4 crickets each. I mist the every night-everyother night. The set-up I use keps the cage quite humid. Some, keep there Goni's in the mid 80's, on the warm spot. I am just to afraid to do this. These geckos can't tolerate warm temperatures!!!!!

Gonis. are easy to keep if kept right. Only house them singly. The tend to stress with more than one in the cage. G. luii sometimes can tolerate other cage mates. Once again, I rather be safe than sorry, and choose one per cage. Plus, shoe boxes don't take up that much room.

I hoped this helped. Good luck!
Geckos By Brad

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: G. k. splendens Care ETC. LONG - Youkai, Thu Oct 23 23:36:11 2003

<< Previous Message:  Stunning!! more - Blazin, Tue Oct 21 00:32:03 2003