return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Plated Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Totally agree with CheriS, and...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bearded Dragons ]

Posted by: reptilicus81 at Mon Nov 24 07:54:24 2003   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by reptilicus81 ]  

I had the female in a totally different household (mine) for more than 2 weeks before the two even met. Their meeting was brief, and we waited another week to introduce them again. I know 2-3 weeks isn't the best quarentine period, but it is better than nothing. I am very experienced with reptiles (mostly iguanas and ball pythons), I know what it looks like when two lizards breed, and these two did not breed. He simply bit her in the neck, which caused her no injuries. Regarding the statement that "I have not bonded with her" and thus don't care if she is traumatized by the male...is totally untrue. I am simply looking for a home for her, and my boyfriend has a 175 gallon custom cage...I thought maybe he could house both of the lizards in the cage. It is as simple as that! I wanted to know if it was breeding behavior, or just an aggressive lizard, so we could decide where to go from here. We figured if he was just being aggresive, time may help....but if he was trying to breed, we needed to figure out where to go from there! I assume you all believe it is breeding behavior. I have more experience with iguanas, and I know when they breed it is quite violent. I am assuming male bds are just as aggressive as male igs concerning mating. I let my boyfriend keep dragonite (the female) at his house last night. They are in adjacent cages. Dragonite has never been so active, and she is adapting well. She is eating more than ever....I doubt she was stressed by the activity, because she is known for going off feed when she is stressed!

Does anyone have experience housing two bds of opposite sex in the same enclosure? Not to say that we are going to be able to...
Thank you for your opinions,
Amy

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  It's breeding behavior, it's what males do - CheriS, Mon Nov 24 10:09:55 2003

<< Previous Message:  Totally agree with CheriS, and... - NorwegianDragon, Mon Nov 24 02:09:00 2003