return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Leopard Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Plated Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Here's what has happened. (long)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bearded Dragons ]

Posted by: wideglide at Mon Nov 24 12:46:42 2003   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by wideglide ]  

>>Lemon color = Just laid
>>Dark color = Fertile
>>White color = Non-fertile
>>
>> That is what I think the colors mean. Three days after being laid, they should turn a dark color and they are ready to go into the refrigerator. They have to be put threw a “winterization” period for most of them to hatch. I will be putting my eggs in the refer for about 2 weeks and then taking them out and seeing how many will hatch.
>>
>> If they go right into hatching, maybe you should check your temp and let us know. I have been keeping mine at room temp and everything is going just fine.
>>
>> I have also read that eggs can be stored in the refer for almost 5 years and still remain good. I would put them into the refrigerator as soon as they turn dark color. As for what to do with them all, send them to Lisa! lol
>>
>>Steve
>>

The first eggs I got were fine and did exactly as expected. Yellow, brown then black. I decided to hatch those and all but about 5 hatched. They were being kept in a 10gal. aquarium with a full hood and light on all day/night. Temps were at about 78 degrees.

From that point I had maybe 7 more batches of eggs and kept those in the same tank but saw no color change. I thought maybe it was the temps had dropped or the humidity fell due to the change in weather so I put them into the incubator at 84 degrees and 80% humidity. Keep in mind they were still yellow and had been for about 2 weeks. Within a week or two all of the eggs over about 2 weeks time got a small black spot on the edges of the eggs and never went to the black color but instead went straight to gray and before I knew it worms were hatching!

I got about 5 more batches and decided to put them straight into the incubator to see if that would make them change the right way. Well the same thing is happening again.

I have had a few batches that have turned brown then black like they are supposed to but those eggs were a lot bigger and more round than the eggs that went straight into hatching.

The only thing I can figure is the eggs were laid and the temps were too low with the humidity being too low as well. I'm really not sure what went on but I gotta whole lotta worms! All seem to be healthy as well but most are only 1/8"-1/4" long right now with a few early batches being 1/2".

I wish I would have taken records to see a trend which I may start doing once I don't have to care for so many little guys. I was going to put together a care sheet but have come to the conclusion I'm doing something waaay wrong so I'm holding off until I can get it figured out.

I think the humidity may be playing a factor on the coccoons not hatching as well. The moths use spit to dislove the cocoon and push through it. I think the spit was drying out too fast because I cut a bunch of the coccoons open and moths had developed and layed eggs right inside the coccoons.

I don't currently have any coccoons but will see if humidity makes a difference the next round. Even if I do give a bunch to Lisa chances are I will have plenty of breeders !!!
-----
Rob

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  TOTALLY OFF TOPIC, but I remember we had some nurses on this board....... - BeginnersBasics, Mon Nov 24 07:38:07 2003
<< Previous topic:  babies raised w/o crickets...and where to find small supers/silks - Ody, Mon Nov 24 00:32:18 2003