return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: How often?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ]

Posted by: snakeguy88 at Fri Jun 11 00:15:38 2004   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by snakeguy88 ]  

Well, I didn't particularly want to argue, but I felt like sticking up for Colchicine as you said something that seemed to indicate that you wanted to argue. Have you ever gone out and caught hognose? What about coming back every day to observe them in their habitat. I have. I have watched the same snake once a day for a period of days. If you know where to look for them, they can be surprisingly easy to find and observe. She (a rather nice sized female) ate two small meals within a very short period of time(about an 30 min between feedings) over a course of about 12 days. They are NEVER as fat as captive hogs. And I can guarantee from finding numerous hogs and keeping numerous others, they do not eat every 5-7 days.

I agree that mother nature does not produce the healthiest animals. But are hognose numbers dwindling? They seem to do fine even while starving and dying off all of the time. In fact, I, and others, have found more hognose in the past year and a half or so than we had seen in a long time. So even while skinny and sick, they seem to be producing rather well with their feeding habits. Do you think letting an animal eat just because it will eat is healthy as well? I have had many snakes, lizards, and frogs that will eat just because their instincts tell them too. Get as big as you can, as quick as you can. That is the goal, and to accomplish it, animals are programmed to eat as much as they can. After all, in the wild, snakes do not usually eat every week and must take meals here and there when they can get them. So when you bring animals into captivity, and you feed them every more often, it is not like they are going to refuse the meal.

As for your animals being obese, I never said they were. I believe I said it was easier for the animals to become obese, so keep an eye out in the future.

And lastly, as for being tired of the subject, I could go on and on, but I am just plain tired. Got an early surfing/fishing trip planned for the weekend, so you have yourself a nice weekend.
-----
Andy Maddox
AIM: SurfAndSkimTx04
MSN: Poloboy32486@hotmail.com
Yahoo:surfandskimtx04
Houston Herp Key
The Reptizone

And the sign says "No long hair freaky people need not apply." So I put my hair under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said you look like a fine outstanding young man I think you'll do. So I took off my hat I said "Imagine that Huh Me working for you."-Tesla

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: How often? - Jmolden87, Fri Jun 11 10:29:25 2004

<< Previous Message:  RE: How often? - Jmolden87, Thu Jun 10 16:21:51 2004