return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: How often?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ]

Posted by: Jmolden87 at Fri Jun 11 10:29:25 2004   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Jmolden87 ]  

I don't know where you got arguing out of that post to Colchicine. I guess that's the problem with forums. But Colchicine has much more experience than I do so I wouldn't waste my time on trying to argue. I don’t think anyone has to stick up for Colchicine’s beliefs on this forum.

I have found A HOGNOSE in the wild. And that was a number of years ago and I haven't found one since. You can ask anyone that lives in my area. The eastern hognose population is dwindling fast. As well as the amphibian population which is probably affecting the hognose population.

I will keep a close watch on my hognose snakes, as I always do, and I will watch for obesity. I brumate my snakes so if they do get slightly obese it won't last. The only obesity I can see is with my females, but they are both gravid.

I just don’t think that you can compare wild snakes with captive snakes. Mother Nature is unpredictable and random. You can’t really duplicate it in captivity. Sure, I could try to duplicate it like Colchicine does. But right now, I am trying to enjoy hatching out some captive babies. Hopefully taking some of the pressure off of the wild population.

You have a nice weekend as well. We both have better things to do. You have the ocean down there, and I have Lake Michigan. Have a nice summer.
-----
James
My Web Page

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: How often? - snakeguy88, Fri Jun 11 00:15:38 2004