return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: What type of Boas......

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: madisonrecords at Mon Mar 28 10:58:41 2005   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by madisonrecords ]  

Well, I have a bloodline from Mahdia on the Potaro River in Guyana that I will be breeding and a bloodline from Apetina on the Tapanahoni River in Suriname and a bloodline from Camopi on the Camopi River in French Guiana and a bloodline from the Essiquibo River in Guyana. This will be the first time in four years that I have decided to breed anything. I seen years ago with the dawn of the internet that the market was going to go down. When I got into this Hobby, for instance; " You could say the word Suriname Boa and no more than a dozen peoples names would come up that were actually breeding them successfully. " Now, there are probably 10-20 for every one back then and that is being very giving. As the internet brought our small and intament Hobby to the world, more and more people started and have gotten into it and alot of these people have been successful with production, especially with the wealth of Husbandry info that is available now and breeding info, also. Even small scale breeders are helping to drop the market, because there are more of them now. As the Hobby continues to grow and more people get into breeding and are successfull, along with the gobs of imports that come in each year; " The market will continue to decline and we will go back to the days when B.C.C. could be bought for $40 a piece and this applies to others too. " Morphs, will also eventually run their course; " It has gotten to the point that the morphs are morphed out! " There are only so many things to selective breed for and at that point, GAME OVER.So, what are the answers? I have my opinions, " That I usually get bashed for " but either we need to take some years of as a community, to let the market catch back up or STOP BUYING IMPORTS. That will help nature number one and the market number two. As I said; " I will attempt to breed this year for the first time in four. " Why would I want to do that, with the Market in such bad shape?? To have babies to play with and to prove a point to alot of these guys that have wondered were all my offspring has been. Not letting other people make decisions for me, but I am tired of hearing their mouths. If I have to sell them for $20 at a local yard sale, that is fine or I will give them away. In closing; " I have alot of good friends in this business that do this for a living and they are really feeling the pinch right now and I hope it gets better for them or they are going to have to get a real job or something. " Nobody, hopes that all my " gloom and doom " predictions are wrong more than me, but I believe it will get worse before it gets better, if it even does get better......Good Luck and GOD BLESS......John Johnson.....founder of " HOOKED ON PHONICS HERPS " Did I spell that right??

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  How is the "Market in bad shape?" - Jamesman, Mon Mar 28 12:55:50 2005

<< Previous Message:  What type of Boas...... - ajfreptiles, Mon Mar 28 07:32:44 2005