return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Part Two................

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: madisonrecords at Wed Apr 27 13:40:22 2005   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by madisonrecords ]  

It has been said, females tend to breed in the rainy season and that gives a cooling effect and cooling will help increase your chances of breeding, is this true? No, When I compiled this info, I found something shocking, gravid females are imported in at all different times of the year, but February, March and April are the months were the most of them come in and actually drop. When you count back, it does not even come close to the rainy season and seems to not matter as far as ovulation or parturition. The few times that I went to Suriname and Guyana, I seen females drop when I was there in January and also in August. It has been said, there are certain times of the year that you need to put your B.C.C. together, is this true? No, and yes. I tried to breed Peruvians back in the 1990s and was not successfull breeding them in the fall or winter and never was successfull until I breed them in the Spring and first part of summer. I have seen that Surinames and or Guyana Shield Localities seem to breed better in the fall and winter as far as the info compiled shows. The info compiled does not show enough evidence to FULLY BACK a " breeding season " , but it does show enough that you can definately increase your chances at certain times of the year, with certain localities. It has been said, multiple males will increase your chances of production, is this true? Yes, multiple males is always a great idea and one that is supported by nearly everyone in the business, but it is still not the code breaker. It has been said, day and night cycles are important to induce breeding, is this true? No, the terrestrial floor of the Jungle is pretty dark and gloomy and Boas can curl up in a dark log for days at a time and never see the light of day. Day and night cycles are more fore the keepers mind, than it is making a contribution to successfull breeding.......Now I will post the last, Part Three......Johnson Herp

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Part Three............. - madisonrecords, Wed Apr 27 14:07:13 2005

<< Previous Message:  Boa Breeding Survey or Theory is Done. Here it is, take it as you will? .Part One - madisonrecords, Wed Apr 27 13:17:42 2005