return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

One more topic to tackle; Pastel Dreams and Coral Albinos

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: topnotchboas at Sat Apr 30 13:11:41 2005   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by topnotchboas ]  

There has been confusion regarding this in other forums so I'll clear it up here as well.

Pastel dreams are a BLOODLINE (period). This bloodline was developed through normals with the goal of increasing color by means of reducing black. Reducing black reveals color to allow more effecient selective breeding towards it. It is this work done by Jeff Ronne that yeilded such amazing albinos.

At initial glance, there are similarities (they are both high etherin albinos). But defenitly distinctively different.

If Pete wants to call corals a phenotype he needs to define the parameters (what constitutes a coral?). If corals are a phenotype and pastels fall within the parameter of coral then they can be one in the same. Until Pete clears it up all we have is speculation.

My personal opinion is that corals are a bloodline. They were derived through an F1 breeding (high genetic variation) and spawned from that line. That to me seems obvious that it is a bloodline.

The reason Pete may have told me that people can call their albinos corals if they look coral even if they are not known to be from that line is possibly because the corals were developed so early on, there are many out there from that het that threw the corals. And coral could pop up. But thats not how it works. For example.. if I find a genetic abberant boa that is similiar to a jungle .. Its possible that it came from and is the same bloodline as the sweedish jungle line ... but I dont call it a jungle because I dont know it to be from that line. I cannot come to that conclusion without knowing for sure.

Some may argue that pastel dreams albinos came from the an albino that descended from the original het that threw the corals... and that, of course, is a possibility. But make no mistake, the color came from the pastel influence... coral didnt sporadicly pop up into Jeff's albino line suddenly when he introduced pastelism to it (and to think it did would be irrational).

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  So....who was the first to breed "corals"?.....N/P - bthacker, Sat Apr 30 13:23:08 2005
>> Next Message:  RE: Opinions..... - ajfreptiles, Sat Apr 30 14:53:31 2005

<< Previous Message:  Coral and Pastel Albinos one in the same? - Stickytongues, Sat Apr 30 01:12:02 2005