return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

OK, the "snowglow" help a brotha out ... LOL

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: Ji_ at Thu Jun 9 21:53:12 2005   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Ji_ ]  

OK so without sounding too stupid please tell me what Im missing here. The snowglow ... would be an animal that expresses both the traits of the sunglow and snow. Sure, no problem, but what Im not getting is how this animal would look any different from a snow in the first place. In essance you would be producing an animal that expresses the albino, anery, and hypo gene at the same time.

Question #1 - IM sure this will answer my second question but bare with me, I know Im jumping around. The sunglow, first of all it is an animal that expresses both the albino gene and hypo gene. If albinism is the lack of melanin and hypomelanistic is the REDUCTION of melanin only, then why does combining these genes ENHANCE the colors found on a sunglow? Certainly there must be some sort of INCREASE in red pigmenation attached to the hypo gene, correct?? Otherwise a gene that reduces melanin ONLY combined with a gene that gets rid of it completely would result it the same animal as the gene that gets rid of it completely by itself(albino either way). After all if NO melanin is found on an animal in the first place, you cant reduce it to produce a different look. Someone straghten me out here Im sure Im off on something.

Question number 2 - OK, getting back to the snowglow. If an animal has the albino gene, a complete lack of melanin, combined with the hypo gene which is a reduction of melanin (as per above), and then you add the anery gene which is the lack of RED pigment, even if the hypo gene DOES enhance red pigmentation in combination with reducing melanin, you would still have a WHITE boa??!! Correct??? Take out all the melanin, add a gene that reduces melanin and maybe (???) increases red pigmentation, then take out all red pigmentation ... you would essentially have a boa with NO pigmentation.

So why/how can/would the snowglow even exist?

Please fill me in if any of you are still hanging with me! LOL ...

BTW, what would this animal look like? Theoretically??? Are these traits found in any other snake in combination? Maybe corns??

Thanks for the schooling Im certain Ill receive!

Ji

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: OK, the "snowglow" help a brotha out ... LOL - Iaherper, Thu Jun 9 23:24:10 2005 image in post
>> Next Message:  Ive been asking the same question. - Mishkam, Fri Jun 10 11:53:01 2005
>> Next Message:  Wouldn't Snow ghost be a better name?.................More> - PanamaRed, Fri Jun 10 22:02:42 2005