return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Desert Iguana . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: dont probe or pop..better idea

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: cbreps at Tue Jun 14 07:29:49 2005   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by cbreps ]  

i cant believe more people dont know this, Lloyd Lemke taught me this 10 yrs ago and he said it was the only way he sexed boas, i have used it since to accurately sex, colombians, dumerils, hogs, bolivians, and rainbows, and i even very carefully did it to a year old ETB recently although if it didnt prove to be a male on the first light pass i wasnt going to add much more pressure, i am sure it would work with most if not all boas, but those are the ones i have tried. it does not work with the pythons i have tried so far (BP's,JCP's). first make sure they arent ready to shed, i have done it to newborns a day old, but be VERY careful. i hold the snake in my left hand, then with my right thumb, i put pressure down onto the underside of the tail (index finger of your right hand on the top part of the tail to keep the thumb pressure. picture you are trying to squeeze something out at the bottom of the tail. then with constant lite pressure, i slide my thumb slowly down the tail. a male's hemipene will feel like you rolled your thumb over a small pea, it will snap back, Lloyd described it to me as a rubber band, sort of being stretched and then snapping back toward the vent, obviously you will feel nothing on the females. the biggest mistake i have seen people do when i teach them is that they give up too soon as they are sliding their thumb back. keep sliding, hogs for instance are farther back then you think. its best to practice on a known male first, a juvie,non biter, 2-3 ft range, just remember to be gentle but use enough pressure to feel the "tip" of the hemipene. once you feel it i gurantee you will never pop or probe a boa again. hope this helps, john yocum

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  I have used this method - giantkeeper, Tue Jun 14 08:07:57 2005
>> Next Message:  I have a ??? about this... - AbsoluteApril, Tue Jun 14 12:01:30 2005

<< Previous Message:  RE: Speaking of Popping... - rainbowsrus, Mon Jun 13 23:37:03 2005