return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Proving out a striper -- mildly long ,with pics

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: Morgans boas at Sun Jun 19 18:07:09 2005   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Morgans boas ]  

Hi, this is my 1st project breeding that I've undertaken to prove out a striped Boa to be genetic. The pic below (pic of a photograph, before I had a digi camera) shows a male that I had purchased from a pet shop back in '94. I believe he was wild caught because he had a couple of broken ribs, mites, and a nasty attitude.

He bred for me 6 times in four years. It was my goal to breed him back to one of his kids, but the female that I kept turned out to be a male, so I sold him. Then I kept another female from the next years babies (learned the "popping" method), a reverse stripe, named sassy. He bred a het for albino in '03 which he produced only 4 babies, but he would never eat after breeding and finally died @ around 12-14 years old, never growing more than 4 1/2-5 ft , so I don't believe that he was a Columbian. I kept one of the four babies, since I didn't have a male to prove out the rev.stripe with. He was a CBLT 50% poss het Albino, named Stubby. Well, at four years old , Sassy was around 5- 5 1/2 ft, and 2 1/2 yr old Stubby was only 30" - very small, but very active in courtship with Sassy. Courtship started in October. Ovulation was at the end of March, and she had her POS in mid April. Her projected due date is July 25th.
Here's Stubby:

Here's the two in copulation. look how small he is:

Here's ovulation (more noticable in person):

Sassy, in tub while cleaning cage:

Under heat panel (looking darker):

So in July I will find out if this striping is a genetic trait. This should have been done a few years ago, but I wasn't fully aware of how genetics worked back then. This is the latest (in the year) that I've ever produced babies. Wish me luck.
-------------------Take care, David/Morgans Boas
-----
--aka DMOG68

[ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereProving out a striper -- mildly long ,with pics - Morgans boas, Sun Jun 19 18:07:09 2005

>> Next topic:  The three Anery Fates..... - sojourner, Sun Jun 19 19:30:55 2005
<< Previous topic:  Hogism.... codominant? - damian5000, Sun Jun 19 16:52:41 2005