return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Some may disagree with me but...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Indigo Forum ]

Posted by: Carmichael at Fri Jul 8 09:18:50 2005   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Carmichael ]  

I agree with Dean....there can be such a large variance between the first egg hatching and the last egg and manually pipping eggs before they are ready can have detrimental effects on the still developing neonate. Assuming that your conditions are just right, including humidity levels, it usually isn't necessary. But, in some cases, though rare, I have enlarged the slit when I felt that the neonate was having a difficult time getting out; this goes against all of my good judgement but I'm guilty as charged. Personally, in order to ensure a vital and healthy captive population of couperi, I oftentimes wonder what a disservice we do when allowing all hatchlings to hatch through manual pipping when some of these babies perhaps should never have survived in this first place. Just stuff that I think about from time to time.

>>I would NOT and NEVER cut holes indigo eggs. I let nature take it's course.
>>
>>I have regularly had indigo snake eggs develop at different rates and it's pretty normal for me to see as long as 3-5 days between the first and last pip and I've seen as long as 14 days!
>>
>>The few time in the past that I have pipped the eggs myself I have found smaller babies not ready to come out yet.
>>
>>I believe that if they are healthy babies, they will come out on their own when they are ready.
>>
>>There are others that pip all the eggs once the first one pips...and have had luck this way, but if it were me, I would try to be patient.
>>
>>PS: CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!
>>Great job...all your work and attention to detail is paying off!
-----
Rob Carmichael, Curator
The Wildlife Discovery Center at Elawa Farm
Lake Forest, IL

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Some may disagree with me but... - DeanAlessandrini, Fri Jul 8 07:30:16 2005