return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: What to get

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snapping Turtles ]

Posted by: mr_phew at Sat Sep 3 17:52:48 2005   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mr_phew ]  

I'm going to have to put in my two cents...it does matter whether or not you're talking about a common or an ally snapper. It also matters if you hibernate/brumate your commons. My common snappers opted for the brumation/hibernation and since they have, they are quite smaller than many of the others on this site. They are completely healthy and have voracious appetites, eating everything from crappie minnows to "prepared meats" to pellets to greens. (Well, the sister won't eat greens, but everything else she will). I guess these turtles where born in August of 2002...about 3 years ago. I've had snappers in the past, years back, that didn't hibernate/brumate and they were 2 to 4 times the size of these that I care for now (at the same age). I think it a lot depends on the turtle, the diet, and it's environment. Anyway, I wouldn't go with the 55 gallon...you may get a little time out of it... mean, my female is still in a custom 50 breeder....and that's been 3 years, but like i said, they're down for part of every year. It'd be better to start with something bigger if you can, or at least start planning on saving/building/buying something bigger...relatively soon. Good luck whatever you choose...they're great turtles! I love em! I can't wait until I can get my ally snapper. -phew

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  What to get - OPO3, Tue Aug 30 18:02:57 2005