return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Observations & techniques from a snapper lover

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snapping Turtles ]

Posted by: mikefuture at Mon Sep 5 00:16:33 2005   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mikefuture ]  

I thought I would throw my experience in here. I raised a female common snapping turtle from hatchling to a healthy 10 year old with an 11.5 inch carapace.(1995-2005) Her feeding schedule was a little less than i've seen members on this forum utilize, and also less than other snapper owners I have known.

She lived with me for 10 years and she was attuned to the natural temperature fluctuations here in Connecticut (where her parents are from). She did "estivate" in hot weather. She was a free range turtle, living in my home and she came and went at will from her enclosure. During winter, she was hibernated with no ill effects for nearly 10 years. She slowed activity in late October, and resumed feeding and activity in mid to late April, correlating with the wild snappers in my area. She was active on particularly warm winter days in feb. and march. Also correlating to wild CT snappers.

I tried to duplicate a wild snappers diet as closely as I could. I did, however, supplement her with zoomeds aqautic turtle pellets. Her favorite foods were fresh smelts, catfish, earthworms, and, as a hatchling and juvenile, insects. Insects were not readily accepted as an adult. She did accept squash, grapes, and apple slices as well as duckweed.

My husbandry techniques may not have been the norm. You won't find them on many caresheets, but she never, ever, had a health issue in 10 years. Because of her large size, I was forced to adopt her out this summer and she will spend the rest of her days as a display turtle for a nature center.

I believe that duplicating a natural diet and allowing the turtle to dictate its behaviour and respond to temperature in a somewhat natural has many benefits.

I miss her.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Observations & techniques from a snapper lover - mikefuture, Mon Sep 5 00:20:57 2005
>> Next Message:  RE: Observations & techniques from a snapper lover - SteveH, Mon Sep 5 18:41:38 2005