return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

no evidence yet?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by: Rtdunham at Tue Sep 20 10:58:48 2005   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Rtdunham ]  

>>As i understand the vanishing gene is ...

To the best of my knowledge no one has yet demonstrated vanishing pattern to be "a gene", or a recessive trait. It first appeared--or first got attention--in some of the early years of hypo production, and we've now seen it in a few ghosts (plus some albinos, as pix john and I have posted here demonstrate) so it may or may not be associated with hypos.

But it's been one of those things several people have tested, breeding van patt x van patt together without getting all or mostly van patts. I think it's a tendency, like the range from tricolor to tangerine, influenced by multiple genes, like striped hondos have been so far.

But there's always the chance for something new to occur. I brought in a "new" anerythristic hondo from Honduras this year--to the best of my knowledge the first one imported since the one David Doherty launched all of today's anerys with--and the first thought is to breed it X one of the present anerys, to make sure they're the same allele, the same mutation. OR to establish that they're different (i expect the former). Test breeding and more test breeding is gonna be required if a vanishing pattern ever is demonstrated to be a simple recessive.

To the best of my knowledge.

peace
terry

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  thanks terry, - milki, Tue Sep 20 13:59:05 2005
>> Next Message:  RE: no evidence yet? - blueharlequin, Tue Sep 20 21:57:32 2005 image in post

<< Previous Message:  The vanishing gene in hondurans - milki, Mon Sep 19 08:54:30 2005