return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Python . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Snapping Turtle

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snapping Turtles ]

Posted by: reptileguy2727 at Tue Oct 4 20:07:35 2005   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by reptileguy2727 ]  

a variety of pellets will usually be taken. i would only offer live if you cannot get it to eat pellets within a week. strong filtrtion is required. mine hit 4" its firat year and i have heard it will take another four to hit 8" the shell ususally hits about 12" and takes ayears to get that large. i keep them with other sliders(which i dont suggest) so there is a basking area that i have seen it use a couple of times, some people dont offer any dry area. full spectrum lighting should be provided over the whole tank. i have heard that a heat lamp should be offered over a shallow area, but that would require it to heat the surrounding water which wshouldnt happen with adequate filtration so i wouldnt do that, i would just offer a basking area. there is a new shatter-proof heater called the stealth made by visi-therm, this should stand up to all snappers under about 8", but im not sure exactly. water temp should probably be in upper 70's, i dont heat mine but my room is warm and many do use water heaters for turtles. dont use basking area on the side if you fill the tank, they will get out, either use a basking area in the middle or keep the water lower. i would keep the water down to about 4" right now anyways and since you dont necessarily need the basking area to begin with that is up to you. tank size is up to you(her). the bigger the better because it will get there eventually and no matter how big you should keep it shallow for now. provide many hiding spots with rockwork, woodwork, or even clay pots either broken, on their side, or upside down but broken to still allow for entry, mine is effectively always hiding, at least once it realizes im in the room. make sure she is ready to eventually deal with a HUGE turtle that will be a challenge to handle to say the least, and will also be a challenge to filter and house. most end up putting them in a pond or squeezing them in a tank no smaller than a 75 but if she goes the aquarium route, 150long would be minimum. if you/she has any other questions just post them.

[ Hide Replies ]

• Snapping Turtle - Orchid021, Tue Oct 4 14:47:29 2005
    • You Are HereRE: Snapping Turtle - reptileguy2727, Tue Oct 4 20:07:35 2005

>> Next topic:  My pinkskin turtles - SteveH, Tue Oct 4 17:37:05 2005
<< Previous topic:  What do you feed a common musk turtle hatchling? - bollweevil9, Thu Sep 29 02:37:19 2005