return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Desert Iguana . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Let me screw you all up

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by: snakesunlimited1 at Thu Oct 6 00:21:13 2005   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by snakesunlimited1 ]  

I know this won't help but I will tell you anyway.
I had a young corn that breed to small in my opinion and after laying her eggs I pounded her with food. She did what comes naturally, she laid another clutch. More food means conditions are right for babies so she processed more eggs. My response to this was to remove her from any room with males and feed her even more. She intern produced more ova but didn't seem to have any sperm to fertilize with so she held the ova.

These where the size of fully formed eggs in my opinion and never shrunk at all. Further more I could count them, I believe it was 14 eggs. She was never in the room with a male until the following spring at which time due to lack of cages I put her in with a male and 34 days later i got 14 eggs. She went on to double clutch that year and seemed to form up ova again but not as large. The hurricanes came and took my roof last year and in moving the cage she was in got broken and she disappeared along with two other females. So i have no idea what happened this year.

I believe in captive conditions this happens more than we know. Not the multiple clutches but the carrying over from one year to the next of ova. I have seen what i thought was just that in two other collections and in one instance i counted the eggs in November and this spring the snake had the same number as what i counted. I think it has to due with the fat content of the females and the lack of exercise. They don't need to save the energy that they give to the eggs so why reabsorb them?? though as I said before I may be crazy

So that should really mess you up. LOL

Later Jason

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Egg reabsorbtion question--Hondo - mgl, Wed Oct 5 22:23:20 2005