return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: In the wild we call this carrying capacity...more

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by: Nokturnel Tom at Sat Oct 8 20:32:55 2005   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Nokturnel Tom ]  

Well I am a stay at home dad....and my successes working with snakes got me into breeding way faster than I had ever expected. I do just fine even with the low end snakes, and I am happy when I make any money. I also have a few projects next to no one else is working with so even if I lose big on the Hondos I am still going to do just fine. Bottom line is I am not selling my Hondurans. It is just frustrating to watch a snake lose its value to the degree of over 1000 dollars....which is outrageous. It seems like they were not given much of a chance this year. People asked appropriate prices, and did not get them and panicked. I have seen ads where prices were reduced again and again over the course of a week or two. Now people are racing to dump their animals including adults. It is also a bummer to see people just want to produce babies and send them packing. Why? Is that not the funnest part? Producing babies and enjoying having them til you sell them is a big part of this for me. We all know the risks involved as prices can fall and hard, but most people seem to produce Hondurans late in summer through early fall....it is only early October and people can not wait to get these out of thier possession? It may be easier for me seeing I am always home but I have at least 100 hatchlings right now on top of my collection and I am loving every minute of it. If I could not handle the maintenance of caring for all these snakes I would not be doing this. I actually have quite a few Pits right now,,,,so as you can imagine they take up room, eat you out of house and home and do not fetch high prices....but I love working with them, and will deal with it. I just wish some of the guys who have been working with these Hondurans would deal with it as well. Tom Stevens

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Tom: Your post about prices on KS - jlambert, Sat Oct 8 17:42:18 2005
<< Previous topic:  From a post below--Has there been ANY gene in ANY colubrid that has been proven non recessive? - Jeff Schofield, Sat Oct 8 12:04:02 2005