return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Shipping Questions...D'OH!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: cbreps at Tue Oct 25 08:02:44 2005   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by cbreps ]  

mark, i use shipping products from superior enterprises, they have insulated boxes,heat pads and snake bags. first i set up the box with the styrofoam panels, then i tape a heat pad to the botom of one side of the box. then a thin layer of shredded newspaper over the bottom. i prefer to use a snake bag as opposed to a plastic container regardless of the size of the snake. i put the snake in the bag (check all bags really well, last week i shipped a pair of tortoises and noticed a weak stitch that opened easily), i double the top of the bag over and put a rubberband over it. then a good layer of masking tape over the rubberband. another rubberband and one more layer of masking tape. if it was a larger snake i would also put a zip tie over this and possibly double bag it. then i lay the bag flat on the bottom of the box and fill the rest of the box full with shredded newspaper so as to cushion and hold the snake snug. now heres the fun part....i believe fed ex is the only company accepting snakes (correct me if i am wrong folks) and you need to become certified, send a test package, and sign paperwork. UPS and US postal will accept most reptiles except snakes... however, it happens. funny thing is 6 years ago i was at a major importer/exporter and they had a ups machine in their facility printing out labels as they shipped box after box. probably because they trusted them to ship correctly. i wish ups would do what fed ex is doing and "certify" responsible people. i have shipped many ups packages (lizards and torts) over the past 7yrs and have never had a big problem other than a 1 day delay twice. hope this helps, john yocum

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Shipping Questions...D'OH! - Caden, Mon Oct 31 08:23:00 2005

<< Previous Message:  Shipping Questions...D'OH! - SweetLeaf, Mon Oct 24 20:02:16 2005