return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Baby gator snappers won't eat...any ideas?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snapping Turtles ]

Posted by: goini04 at Fri Nov 4 19:46:18 2005   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by goini04 ]  

Thanks Steve,

I tried deeper water, but I dont think they can do anything in it. I gave them an extra half-inch of water, and then placed a piece of slate rock in the tank so they have a way into shallower water if necessary. I have not seen them "fishing" at all. I always watch for that, but dont see it. I dont have any experience with snappers other than these, but I dont think they can use their back legs. Their back legs barely move. I thought about adding gravel or something, but the more stuff in the cage, the more their is to clean and the harder it is to keep it that way once it's done. I like all my cages to stay clean. Thus far I have tried Rosie reds, trout worms, and mazuri turtle diet. The rosie reds and trout worms were live, but the obviously the mazuri turtle diet was not. They didn't seem to interested.

Thanks for the response, if you have any other ideas I would be glad to hear them. Oh I did check with that John guy, he replied but didn't give me much information and wasn't too friendly on top of that. Do you have contact info for the "turtlesox" that you mentioned?

Thanks,

Chris
-----
Chris Law
U.A.P.P.E.A.L. (Uniting a Proactive Primate and Exotic Animal League)
Herpetoculture Element Representative

View my website: www.herpfanatic.com

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  PA Press: A harvest of snapping turtles - W von Papineäu, Wed Nov 2 20:42:31 2005
<< Previous topic:  Housing for Alligator Snappers? - goini04, Tue Oct 25 20:17:12 2005