return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I agree, I have females with spurs too..(more)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: LauraV at Sun Nov 13 10:15:08 2005   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by LauraV ]  

Other things to consider...Tail length and tapering.

Grasp the tail gently. Put your thumb right under the vent line, your index finger opposite of your thumb. Gently move your thumb down towards the tip of the tail. About 1/3 of the way down from the vent you will feel two tiny balls roll out from under your thumb, that is a male. On the female you won't feel anything. If possible do a few babies of each sex to get the feel for it. I've not been wrong with this method yet and have done several litters. Just be careful not to pull on the tail. It is a safer, less invasive method than probing the little guys. I've actually found this can work on animals up to 4-5 feet if they are lean, once they have a lot of fat and muscle, it no longer works.
Note: I don't have any long bodied pythons to test this method on, but I had no success with the short bodied Balls.
-----

Delusions of Grandeur feed the EGO...

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  more with the "female" ... update - jayf, Sun Nov 13 11:23:33 2005
>> Next Message:  LOL Laura - koky6869, Sun Nov 13 13:13:37 2005
>> Next Message:  RE: I agree, I have females with spurs too..(more) - cbreps, Sun Nov 13 18:10:23 2005

<< Previous Message:  spurs deffinately determine sex? - jayf, Sun Nov 13 02:11:32 2005